If your chocolate craving is as real as ours, look no further. We’ve got a simple, quick, and seriously healthy brownie recipe that only requires three ingredients. It’s so easy, you could whip them up before your night class, and the chewy factor is unreal. Oh, and they just so happen to be vegan. Check out the recipe below.
- 2 large, overripe, squishy bananas (look for lots of brown spots on the peel)
- 1/3 cup almond butter (or any kind of nut or seed butter)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Optional: Add-ins such as chocolate chips, unsweetened coconut flakes, nuts, etc.
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Grease a regular-sized muffin tin.
- Throw all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. No blender? Mash up the banana with a fork and stir in the almond butter, then the cocoa powder, until combined. It’s OK if the banana is a little lumpy.
- If you have any add-ins, now’s the time to throw them in. Stir to incorporate.
- Carefully divide batter evenly into 6 muffin cups and smooth out the top of each.
- Bake for 14–18 minutes, until firmly set on the edges and barely set in the centre.
- Let cool completely.
- Sprinkle with cocoa powder and any other toppings you desire, and enjoy!
Kristina R. is a second-year graduate student at Memorial University of Newfoundland in Newfoundland and Labrador.
“I always try to have healthy options on hand to avoid buying treats from the hospital where I work and school cafeteria. Sometimes the hours are long, and a chocolate treat packed with protein can make all the difference! This recipe was easy to make, feels like a guilt-free indulgence, and even has the potential to prevent food waste by using up extra bananas that are at the end of their life.”
For a double batch, I spent a little over $20, and still had ingredients left over to make more. Plus, you can make it cheaper by using peanut butter instead of almond butter and not doing any add-ins.
This recipe contains only three ingredients and requires a blender and muffin tin. Just toss the ingredients in a bowl, blend, and bake. Super easy—I recommend making a double batch (I mean, you’re already taking out the blender and turning on the oven anyway!).
While it certainly doesn’t taste exactly like a decadent brownie you’d expect from a bakery, it was dense and delicious nonetheless. It was also filling, and much healthier than a sugar-filled one. Side note: I specifically asked a vegan friend to try these and she rated them 5 stars. She said she loved how dense they were—perfect with a scoop of vanilla almond ice cream! So try ‘em—you never know! I’d definitely make this recipe again.
Recipe by Power Hungry